What causes stabbing pain in back near left shoulder blade and fainting?

Posted on Fri, 5 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have had recent incidents of fainting or nearly fainting. I have a sharp, stabbing pain in my back near my left shoulder blade. When it happens, I start to feel weak, sweating and about to faint. I have tried to get somewhere to lie down and eventually I calm down; profusely sweating, clammy and arms are very weak.

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to cervical spondylosis

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Left bundle branch block is a condition that numerous people have and nothing needs to be done about it. It is not the cause of your problems. Rather, spondylosis could be the cause of your problems. It could give rise to the mentioned symptoms. It relates to nerve compression but might be unrelated to the history of shoulder dislocation. With age related degenerative changes, the bony holes, through which the spinal nerves exit, get narrowed and thus lead to the compression.

You need to be investigated. You need to get an X ray of Cervical Spine - Anteroposterior and Lateral - done. Please consult a doctor with the report so that he can better assess the situation. There could be other causes like hypoglycemia and vasovagal attack which might need to be considered only if there is no finding in the X Ray (very less likely).

Dr. Kunal Saha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha