What causes stabbing pain between my breasts?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I HAVE BEEN PERIODDICALLY GETTING A VERY SHARP STABBING PAIN RIGHT BETWEEN MY BREASTS, IT FEELS LIKE A KNIFE IS BEING SHOVED UNDDER MY BREAST BONE. USUALLY IN THE MIDDDLE OF THE NIGHT. AT FIRST I THOIGHT IT WAS FOOD RELATED FROM NARROWING IT DOWN, BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO BE WHEN I HAVE EATEN SEVERAL HOURS LATER. BUT IT HAS HAPPEND NOW 4 TIMES IN THE LAST 5 WEEKS THIS TIME IT LASTED FROM 3AM TO 6:30 PM. I SWEAT, I CAN;T FIND A COMFORTABLE POSITION, AND THEN I VOMIT AND GET SWEATTY. I;M WONDERING ABOUT GALLBLADDER, MY MOM AND GRAND PARENTS ALL HAD THEIRS REMOVED, AND IT IS MORE SORE UNDER MY RIGHT BREAST. I DON'T HAVE INSURANCE. I'm 63. HEALTY, RECENTLY LOST 50LBS OVER THE LAST 11 MONTHS AND EAT LESS AND HEALTHIER THAN EVER.
PLEASE ADVISE XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need immediate clinical tests

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear XXXXXXX

I have gone through the medical history carefully and understood your concern.

You're reportinga stabbing pain between the breasts. If I was your caring doctor would advise to run further diagnostic tests to determine the right diagnosis:
- abdominal ultrasound and liver function test to exclude gallbladder problems like sludge or stones
- upper endoscopy to exclude stomach gastritis or ulcer
- cardiac tests (EKG, echocardiogram, stress test) to rule out cardiovascular events
- chest x-ray to rule out problems related to lungs and collar bone.

Until you get the tests done, I advise to:
- eat often and small portion
- have your dinner at least 4hours before going to bed
- avoid oily, spicy, processed foods
- continue taking antacids after meal

Hope it was of help
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 27 minutes later
LFT test or liver function panel?? and gastrin test?? I am going to go to a local lab and have the tests done then maybe to a Dr. but not first I can get the results directly again I don't have insurance and the $$$
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Go to ER if you experience another pain episode

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Ok then, if you have another pain attack, I highly recommend to go to ER for immediate evaluation and treatment. I believe you won't need insurance if you go to ER.

All the best.
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
thank you. I don't know where you live, but an ER is even more expensive. and you didn't answer my questions about the tests I asked about getting????
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following answers to your questions

Detailed Answer:
Hi back my dear,

Yes, it's true that some countries have an expensive ER service. Generally, they are not that expensive, I mean governmental emergency.
Unfortunately, I was lacking information for your country, I beg pardon for that.

Some of the tests I advised were:
- liver function test or liver function panel(LFP)
- upper endoscopy

Gastrin test is recommended after consultation with gi specialist. For this time, I did recommend upper endoscopy to evaluate changes in gi mucosa.

Hope this answers your questions.
Dr.Albana