What causes spreading of petechiae?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Dr. Grief,

I have a spreading problem of petechia. It started when I was 40 in my inner thighs. Now 13 years later, it has crept up to my face.

Thanks for your help.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to petechiae...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,

Petechiae are pinpoint and round spots due to bleeding under the skin.

So, as they used to appear when you was 50 years old in your inner thighs, and they crept up to your face after 13 years, then, further investigations are needed to find out the right cause.

As mentioned earlier, petechia is indicating bleeding under the skin, most probably due to :
- trauma/injury during straining for long time
- medications you might be using (can write them down)
- possible infectious disease
- vit.K deficiency
- problems with local blood vessels (vasculitis) and many others

I highly advise to get further investigations before confirming "you are getting old":
- complete blood work
- thrombocyte level
- vit.K&C level
- electrolytes
- liver/kidney function tests

You must seek dermatologist opinion as he/she will get your petechiae checked and get the requested lab tests in order to determine the right cause and treat it accordingly.

Hope it helped!
Dr.Albana
If anything unclear, do write me back!