What causes spotting while on birth control, abdominal pain and diarrhea during menstruation?
Transvaginal ultrasound advised
Hello dear, thanks for trusting health care magic.
This spotting in between periods despite of being on birth control pills is not a good sign.
I would like you to get a transvaginal ultrasound and pelvic examination by a good gynecologist.
Most common reason can be inadequate estrogen support by your birth control pill but it can also be due to some endometrial pathology like increased thickness of endometrium or a polyp inside uterus.
Your other history of severe pain in periods and Pain around naval area is consistent with endometriosis and ultrasound is a must to evaluate that too.
Till then keep taking your pills as before without a miss and in case spotting is bothersome then you can take tablet tranexemic acid 500 mg to stop it.
Get the ultrasound done and then we can discuss further management.
polyp is common than cancer at your age
You have less chances of cancer because you are young in age with negative pap and subtle bleeding history.
But definitely risk is still there, thats why I have asked you for ultrasound already to see for endometrial thickness which will give us an idea about the likely chances of malignancy and other causes of intermenstrual bleeding.
Polyp is the most common cause and much commoner than cancer.
So ultrasound is a must to know the likely cause and to decide further management.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could cause abdominal pain cramping and diarrhea
- Abdominal pain had miscarriage spotting after starting birth control pills
- What causes nausea and diarrhea with abdominal pain
- Petogen birth control abdominal pain
- What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea
- Stopped taking birth control headache abdominal pain cramps help
- Can birth control cause diarrhea
- Abdominal pain after birth control
- What causes bleeding while on birth control pills
- What causes abdominal pain with diarrhea and bloody stool