What causes spotting post miscarriage?

Question
I had a miscarriage on XXXXXXX 13th; received my first period after that on July 15. I am now having some spotting yesterday and today. I have been using OPK this month as we have decided to try again. My OPK has not detected positive yet. Could this spotting be ovulation bleeding, or something else since my OPK has not changed?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not due to ovulation.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Usually it takes 2-3 cycles for the normal ovulation to return after a miscarriage. The spotting that you are having could be due to a mild hormonal imbalance or left over blood from the previous periods. This is not suggestive of ovulation since OPK predicts the ovulation correctly.
You can wait for few days for the bleeding to stop spontaneously. In case it continues then do consult your gynecologist for investigations.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes spotting post miscarriage? 22 minutes later
I started monitoring my ovulation with the OPK after the miscarriage, and it has not turned. You say that it takes 2-3 months/cycles before normal ovulation begins. Does this mean that I am not ovulating at all during these cycles? My OPK gets darker around mid cycle, but not dark enough to be a definitive positive.
Is this normal not to ovulate for a couple of months afterwards?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes. It is normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. Ovulation in this cycle is not likely. It is best to start trying for conception after 1-2 months. Such minor irregularity after a miscarriage is normal.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.