What causes spotting and bleeding during pregnancy?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello, I am pregnant, having my first, I don't have any medical problems at all, suffer from nothing. I found out I was pregnant and when to the doctor to confirm. While I was there, he done a scan and smear, priscribed me duphaston to take 3x a day. He never done any blood test is this normal. I read it's suppose to help keep the body from rejecting the pregnancy but I started spotting/ bleeding last night. Is this normal should I continue on the tablets ? I take folic acid and multi vitamins. It's a lot to take when I am used to taking nothing and being healthy... Thanks in Advance
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue medicines

Detailed Answer:

I have read you query and I understand your concerns about pregnancy.

Following is my reply:

1) Folic acid is necessary to prevent any abnormalities in baby that are likely to happen and can be prevented with folic acid tablets.

2) Duphaston will help to prevent abortion hence continue.

3) Since there is bleeding now it is advisable to continue the medicines. No other problems.

4) Blood tests are not required as of now. Concentration should be to reduce the bleeding.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later
I had spotting and now i am bleeding a light peirod. I dont have very much cramping a litlle sometimes and some lower back pain. Is this normal. I will continue to take the tablets. I am usually so healthy and never get sick. Its just all a bit of a shock.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take rest and medicines

Detailed Answer:

This is the most crucial part of early pregnancy where baby gets aborted. I suggest you take complete rest and continue medicines. Hope for the bleeding to reduce.

No need to rush to doctor for this now.
Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 7 hours later
Thank you. I continued as you stated with the tablets.
The bleeding stopped this afternoon. But tonight i am having cramps, and sore back.
Is this all normal.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are settling

Detailed Answer:

You are slowly settling. Though the risk still exists.

Continue medicines as per advice.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina