What causes spotting after stopping Duphaston?

Posted on Sat, 8 Oct 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello. Last month I had a weak positive pregnancy result and then a negative with a serum test and I got a regular period. I started taking 10 mg of Duphaston in the last 3 days of that period. My period stopped two days ago and I stopped Duphaston, with the intention to start it again once I ovulate. Now I have light pink/reddish spotting and cramping.

Could it be that I am still pregnant and now miscarrying? Or this is a side effect from stopping the Duphaston?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal bleeding due to duphastone

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Mild spotting, bleeding and cramping is common once you stop duphastone tablet.
If the urine pregnancy test and serum pregnancy test are negative, then there are absolutely no chances of pregnancy or miscarriage.
This is most likely the withdrawal bleeding due to stopping duphastone.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 1 hour later
Thank you for responding Dr. XXXXXXX

I was scared it might have been miscarriage because I heard that sometimes people are pregnant even with a negative result, so I took another duphaston 10 mg an hour ago while waiting for an answer.

We are trying to conceive. I'm worried that my taking the duphaston 10 mg will interfere with ovulation this month. Is this a possiblity? Is there a chance that my ovulation will be delayed or wont' arrive because of the 10 mg duphaston I took today.

MY period ended 3 days ago.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Duphatone not to be taken in first half of cycle

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Duphastone is given after the ovulation to make the uterine environment more favourable for the conception.
Duphastone is never given in the first 14 days of the cycle, or before ovulation, as it leads to delayed ovulation or no ovulation.
So, it is not advisable to take duphastone after periods.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 36 hours later
My progesterone cream hadn't come in the mail, so I took the duphaston pills instead, in the last 3 days of my period.

(A doctor recommended the cream for fertility, but I substituted with duphaston. Those are the only three days I took duphaston 10mg, except for the 10 mg I took yesterday.)

I did not realize that the cream and pills are different!

How long do you think my ovulation could be delayed?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Exact time cannot be predicted

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
The ovulation is likely to be delayed by 2-3 days, however the exact time cannot be predicted.
Dr Deepti Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine