What causes spotting after copper coil fitting?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I had coil copper fitted Iast week I wasn't on periods my periods start on 12or 13 but I haven't started but two days i am getting tiny spot when I wipe its like brown light pink can that be periods the reason I haved coil fitted because my periods wasn't heavy and they were about two days please can help answer questions thank you kindle.
Posted Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
SPOTTING DUE TO THE COIL

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
Ideally the coil should be fitted just after your periods, so that chances of expulsion are less.
Yes, the spotting can be due to the coil.
You would have your proper periods also in a day or two.
Do write back if that does not happen.
All the best.
Please feel free to discuss further.

Follow-up: What causes spotting after copper coil fitting? 43 hours later
My periods doe nt be heavy at all . It just be s spot on first day than I finish on second day Doctor told me if you have copper coil fitted your periods will be heavy this is second time I had copper fitted can you help me Advice or what I need to do please

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
DONT WORRY ABOUT LIGHT CYCLES IF ALL ELSE NORMAL

Detailed Answer:
It is not at all necessary that if the copper coil is fitted, you would have heavy periods.
Did you experience heavy periods when you had the copper coil fitted for the first time ?
As such, if the investigations are all normal ( pelvic ultrasound scan, hemoglobin, FSH, LH, TSH ) then you do not need to worry about light periods as it maybe the norm for some women.