What causes sporadic pain and twitching sensation in the thighs?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Exactly a week ago, I came home on a cross-country flight (New York to LA). Immediately after getting off the plane, there was a pain in my inner right thigh after each step I took. After that night, the "walking" pain subsided. But throughout this following week, I'm still having some sporadic pain in that same location that hits for a few seconds and goes away, most often when I'm just sitting in a chair or lying in bed, accompanied by twitches in my thigh and leg. I'm worried I may have a blood clot (DVT). I don't have, however, any swelling, abnormal color, or warmness to the touch. Am I just being paranoid? Or is there sufficient cause to see my doctor about this?
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is always better to be sure regarding DVT

Detailed Answer:
Hi welcome to Health care magic,

No you are not being paranoid. It is always better to be sure regarding DVT especially if you are a little over weight or not exercising regularly.

I would advise a venous doppler to rule out DVT, since sub clinical thrombosis may persist and later lead to more severe problems like pulmonary embolism (a clot reaching and blocking artery in lung) that can be serious.

Also if there is any thrombus, check your blood for thrombotic factors and especially high homocysteine.

You can discuss this with your doctor.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D