What causes sporadic episodes of dysphagia?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Jun 2016 in Cancer
Question: I am experiencing sporadic episodes of dysphagia. I suddenly couldn't remember how to swallow. It scared me and I'm wondering what was happening.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need to evaluate further

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concerns. Do you feel that the food is getting stuck somewhere? And is it to solids and liquids both?

Common causes for this problem may be esophageal reflux or acidity. A trial of antacids may help.

You need to visit a doctor and get yourself examined, get some basic tests as well. An upper GI endoscopy may be required to clinch the diagnosis and provide proper treatment.

There is no immediate cause for worrying. High stress levels can also increase the symptoms.

Hope this helps.