What causes splitting of the fingernails?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Thu, 9 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: My nails are splitting down the middle. I had manicures using XXXXXXX lack and gel which is hard to remove. they filed the polish off my nails. could this have caused the problem? I take calcium two tablets a day and drink 1 glass of milk a day. Do I need vitamin supplements?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:

If you never had this problem before, the vertical splitting is most likely due to the nails being overly dry and thinned from the manicure you described. There can also be an inheritable component to vertical ridges and splitting, but then I would expect you would have had this problem before.

I recommend that you just keep the nails as short as possible now until they grow out, at which time I expect they will be healthier again.

You can try putting lac hydrin on the skin at the base of the nail, to help hydrate the growing nails, but it won't help the part that is already split.

Biotin (a B vitamin) can be used as a supplement to help hair and nails, but there isn't hard evidence that this will help. And again, it will take weeks to see a result, at which time most of the split nail will have grown out anyway.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if I can provide further information.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 17 hours later
thank you. I eat pleanty of red meat but understand taking a supplement of zinc and folic acid would help to. How much is the right dosage? Could Centrum silver do the trick or should I buy these vitamins seperately?

in addition to my questions about the amount of zinc and folic acid I 'd like to know
what I do can about certain foods like salad dressing herring, pickles olives all tasting like vinegar. It is over whelming. Is that a lack of zinc too? my alk phosphate is low 41. I think I need a supplement. Any recommendations?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
A general multivitamin with minerals would be fine. I don't think you need specific supplements unless you have a particular deficiency. Your alkaline phosphatase level is slightly low. Do you have any problems with glutens, as low alkaline phosphatase can be associated with that.

The foods that you mentioned, such as salad dressing and pickles do have vinegar in them, so that may be why they taste like that.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 42 hours later
Should I stop having manicures in order to let them heal?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hi - sorry I didn't see your question sooner.

It's probably ok to have manicures, if you didn't have problems prior to the special gel which needed to be filed off. But don't use that product! And minimize the number of times you have nail polish remover on your nails until healthy nails grow out, because the remover can be drying.

Keep your nails short, cutting off the damaged part whenever it is long enough; and healthier nails should grow back in.