• question-icon

What causes split second eye movement from side to side?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jun 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: split second eye movement from side to side with small sensation in forhead . goes and comes but this month it has increased many many times a day. thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Nystagmus, most common causes listed sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. What you are experiencing sir is called nystagmus, and is only a symptom and not the condition causing it. Let me start by listing all the causes that come to my mind, that can result in a nystagmus developing, they are:

+Myasthenia Gravis (a neuromuscular disorder)
+Meniere's disease (Disorder of the inner ear)
+Alcohol withdrawal syndrome
+Inner or middle ear abnormalities
+Brain-related abnormalities (e.g. concussion, haemorrhage, hydrocephalus, etc.)

As you can see from a few of the most common causes listed above sir, some of them are serious and may require more elaborate investigations. So it would be my humble request for you to schedule an appointment with your doctor at your earliest convenience sir.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan