question-icon

What causes split in the skin in lower lip?

Posted on Mon, 14 Jul 2014
Question: I had a split in the skin of my lower lip inside my mouth. I noticed the skin around the split turned red about one inch in diameter. I went to the dentist and he told me I had a large lesion and he would check it in a week. I came back one week later and he said it was 40% improved and he would check it in a week. It seems that the redness has gotten a little worse since the last visit. I was wondering what can be the cause. He said it is probably viral but if it isn't better the next time he checks it I will have a biopsy on the tissue.
Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
could be aphthous ulcer

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and understand your concern.

I feel that split could be aphthous ulcer. And as it is healing then you need only supportive treatment for it like intake of vitamin b-complex and vitamin c, and gargels with an antiseptic mouthwash, not benadryl.

Continue your follow up with your dentist, and he is right in suggesting a biopsy if it doesn't improves.

Eat healthy and avoid hot and spicy foods as they will cause more pain.

Hope I have been helpful.

Get well soon.

Dr. Deepika Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Deepika Patil

General Surgeon