What causes split fingernails?

Dr. Nagamani Ng

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: What causes split fingernails and how do I cure them?

I have also been applying nail hardner to the 5 split nails on the left hand--the nails on the right hand do not split. Let me know if you need anything further.

The 3 things you mentioned as causing the nails on my left hand to split, I don't see as being applicable to my nails, nor is there any difference between the treatment of my 2 hands, so as to only have the condition on 1 hand. What is the vitamin or mineral that may be lacking to cause my nails to worsen? The supplement that I am taking is 10,000 mcg of Biotin, but that has not cured the splitting

is there no nutrient--vitamin or mineral that would help grow strong healthy nails? There must be something wrong or missing.
Answered by Dr. Nagamani Ng 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Iron deficiency.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting the query.
I have reviewed your attached photographs.
Usually finger nail split is more commonly seen in iron and calcium deficiencies and hypothyroidism.
If I were your treating doctor i would suggest you to get your thyroid levels and hemoglobin checked. And start on the supplements of iron and calcium.

Usually it is the additional injury which will make the nails to keep splitting. For this you should protect your nails for some days till the new nail grows. For this i would suggest you to use spray plaster by elastoplast. If not able to get it then use petroleum jelly 4 to 5 times a day.

Any query do get back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj