What causes spitting of blood after coughing?

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi Doctor
Exactly 1 month and 2 days ago while cleaning my gas range, after about 1 hour my throat stuck and I coughed a few times. 5 hours later at night when I woke up to go to the bathroom I had some saliva then I spit it out and it was all blood, very fresh blood and it has been that way since then, only happens at night.
My family doctor had me xray my lung, the film was said fine and after that she sent me to an ENT , he examined me and he said he did not see anything wrong in my mouth, my neck or my throat, then he gave me Omeprazole dr 40 mg to take 1 each before breakfast everyday, after few days the came out blood ( every night ) looks a little bit lighter but it won't stop. I have a burning feeling in my neck. My voice seems a little bit hoarser and a few times I had terrible headache on my left side of my head . Now my family doctor is getting authorization to let me see a lung specialist.
Also before I can chanting for 2 hours everyday but now I can do for only 15 minutes because I feel tired and I also have backache( upper) very much.
Do I need to call paramedics?
Do I need second opinion?

Do I need second opinion
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hello madam and welcome to healthcaremagic,

There are many blood vessels in the throat lying just below the surface. If you cough forcefully or clear your throat repeatedly, these blood vessels tend to rupture giving rise to bleeding. I feel that your bleeding is the result of this.

Many conditions in the lung can also lead to blood in sputum. Bleeding from the nose, gums, throat can produce bloody sputum.

In all probability there is nothing serious going on with you , since you have already seen an ENT specialist and also got yourself X rayed. But to be on the safe side I recommend you get an all clear sign from a pulmonologist who specialises in disorders of the lung.

Till then please do not cough forcibly, do not hack or clear your throat repeatedly. Do warm salt water gargling 5 times daily and drink plenty of fluids.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D