What causes spinning sensation while on Sudafed?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I had vertigo 4 months ago for 2 days. My husband cleared it with eply manuever and the spinning stopped. I took sudafed for 2-3 weeks to keep down congestion. My eyes still seem to have movement. I'm not dizzy. It's just hard to stay focused on one spot. And when I close my eyes it's worse. It almost feels like my eyes are moving with my heartbeat. MRI clear. Ear doc says ears and sinus clear. Opthamologist says my eyes look fine. I just want my eyes to be still again. It's really frustrating. Any thoughts of what this may be and how I can find some help? Warmly, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern. I can relate to what you experience not only as a medical professional but also as someone who went through something similar a couple of months back, though was luckier than you as was symptom free in 3-4 weeks.

Coming to what that might be I believe that is due to the inner ear. While the Epley maneuver helped in positioning and settling the free moving crystals in your inner ear labyrinths, there are still free moving crystals which stimulate the inner ear structure. Generally they settle in a few months but in your case is lasting more, there is not a specific treatment to remove them, but gradually you should get better.

The fact that the MRI is normal should be heartening to you, because when it finds something it generally is not good, it has excluded issues like stroke or vascular malformations, multiple sclerosis, tumors etc.

If the symptoms really affect your quality of life symptomatic treatment may be used, either with betahistine or with an antihistamine like meclizine.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.