What causes spinal stenosis?

Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: Spinal stenosis and biologicals

Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your question and understand your concerns.

Spinal stenosis may result from protrusion of the intervertebral disc annulus, herniation of the nucleus pulposus posteriorly, thickening of the posterior longitudinal ligament, hypertrophy of the facet joints, hypertrophy of the ligamentum flavum, epidural fat deposition, spondylosis of the intervertebral disc margins, uncovertebral joint hypertrophy in the neck, or a combination of 2 or more of the factors.

The compression on nerves results in microvascular ischemia, venous congestion, axonal injury, and intraneural fibrosis.

Another factor that may contribute in pain from spinal stenosis is pain-mediating neuropeptides, such as substance P derived from the dosal root ganglion.

Hope you found the answer helpful.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj