• question-icon

What causes spinach indigestion?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in General Health
Question: I had spinach last night ,and this morning it all came out .why didn't my body digest it? it happened once before I thought nothing of it till now

thank you I will do that
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Reason could be stress or irritable bowel or some kind of gastrointestinal infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query.

Generally, foods are digested in the stomach, duodenum and the first part of small intestine.

Mostly, the foods do not get property digested (spinach in your case) if the food passage through the intestines is accelerated (Means the food does not stay long enough to get digested properly).

The reason behind could be stress or irritable bowel or some kind of gastrointestinal infection.But I will not think about the possibility of some GI infection right now.

Also, the fact that digestion depends on proper bile production and secretion and proper pancreatic juice secretion. In case of problems with this organs functions, undigested foods can also appear in the stool.

In your case,if you this has happened once or twice with spinach intake without clinical symptoms like abdominal pain or discomfort or loose motions then I do not think there is anything to be concerned much.

So,I will suggest you to start with diet improvement like increase fiber rich products, avoid fatty foods, avoid coffee and pro-biotics intake.

Observe your stool during that time and probably,your problem will subside by itself.

In case,if this will happen again,it is better to consult gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome.

Let me know if you have more questions,I will be happy to help you.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Dr. Sandip Kabra