What causes spasms in the adductor muscles?

Dr. Rahul Tawde

Posted on Sat, 4 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having spasms in what I think is my adductor muscles. I would like to know if this could be caused by the problems with my psoas muscle? Why would it take over 2 years for my psoas to act up? Do you think a hip revision would correct the problem or is that a maybe it would or maybe it wouldn't scenario? difficult getting into a car, washing the bottom of my foot in shower and stairs. otherwise achy sometimes but no real pain.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need to be investigated

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Thank you for posting your question on HealthcareMagic.
Spasm of the psoas muscle could be very painful and disabling .
To help it get better we need to investigate for any nutritional deficiency.
I would recommend serum calcium ,vitamin d and B12 levels to be checked.
Meanwhile you could take the help of a physiotherapist to guide you to excercises which will help to release or prevent the cramp.
Gentle ultrasonic massage and hot packs will also be beneficial.
Hope this helps
Best wishes
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Rahul Tawde 2 days later
You did not answer my question and I am not having spasms in the psoas. I just had my yearly check up and I am not deficient in any of the areas you mentioned. I have had therapy and there is nothing they can do for my psoas. my question was about my adductor spasms and if you think it was related to my psoas pain and if surgery to re do my THR would help. I also paid for a specialist in orthopedic surgery not a family doctor.
Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes

Detailed Answer:
Hello again, yes your adductor spasms are related to the psoas pain that you are having .
A re do THR may not help .Osteotomy may help you relieve your symptoms.
I would still recommend physiotherapy prior to surgical intervention.

Since this is an AAD(ask a doctor) it has been posted under all the specialities, for your concerned speciality(orthopedics) I would advice you to contact customercare for the query to come under AAS(ask a speciality).

Best wishes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana