What causes sores in mouth?

Question
I have some sores in my mouth that started about a week ago. I thought that I had burned my mouth on some food but now it feels like it may be somethn else. I do not see any white spots or redness just pain and tenderness
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible viral infection...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

The sores you have in your mouth might be indicative for:
- viral infection
- other infection of soft tissue in the mouth
- any hot food or acidic food you consumed recently

Usually, viral sores will subside on their own within a couple of weeks (or less). I advise to take good hygiene of your mouth and to:
- mix 1 coffee-spoon honey with little soda bicarbonate and apply to the sore or just keep inside the mouth as long as you can
- take ibuprofen or acetaminophen for pain
- if burning will persist more than 10 days, can apply oral lidocaine locally.
- avoid citrus or other foods that could irritate the sores

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana

Follow-up: What causes sores in mouth? 17 minutes later
I also have a swollen lymph node on the L side of my neck. This could also potentially be from a viral process? At what point should I seek further attention? If it will go away on it's own, wait a few weeks? then seek medical attention if it still persists?

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can seek medical attention NOW...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

The swollen lymph node on the Left side of your neck is strongly suggesting viral infection.

At this point, you need to get further evaluated by your physician in order to determine at what point viral infection is causing problems to your upper respiratory system.

So, you can schedule an appointment with your primary doctor for further evaluation as you might need to take oral medications apart the OTC you might be taking (pain killers).

Once again, your situation is not serious, but, need further evaluation and proper treatment in time as you are reporting to have such sores for around 1 week now.

Wish fast recovery!
Dr.Albana