• question-icon

What causes soreness of the scar post nephrectomy?

Posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: Hi, I had my kidney removed 2 weeks ago.
It was done by keyhole surgery.
The largest scar is so sore to the touch. I have just finished a course of anibiotics as it was a little infected, but now it feels as though a lump has formed on it,can you please suggest any other medication other than painkillers that would help the healing process??.
Thanking you in advance
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Multivitamins help healing, clinical examination and investigations

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/53 - Keyhole nephrectomy 2 weeks ago - largest scar sore to touch - finished a course of antibiotic for little infection - now feels as a lump - wants to know any other medications other than painkillers that can help healing process ....

Certainly you may need further medications.
For helping the healing process you need to take multivitamins.
But your history of little infection in the largest scars followed by a feeling of a lump that has formed and so sore to the touch bothers me.
I would like to know a few more details for me to assist you further:
- Since when have got the feeling that there is a lump?
- Does if enlarge on coughing or straining?
- Any fever or so?
- Why was the kidney removed- the diagnosis?

From the short history you have provided, this looks to be development of an incisional hernia or an abscess or seroma formation.

I would advise you the following:
Clinical evaluation, examination and ultrasonography of the areawill help to get you the confirmed diagnosis.
If this is a hernia formation, it may need the corrective surgery.
If there is a collection of fluid, aspiration will help to see the color of it. If yellow and clear, this is seroma and repeated aspiration with compression dressing helps in recovery.
If there is pus formation few repeated aspirations, sending the sample for gram staining, culture and sensitivity may help for giving appropriate antibiotic. Regular observation/examination may help further to see the changes and decide the further course of actions.

I hope this answer helps you, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon