What causes soreness near the neck and blocked sensation in the ear?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 9 Nov 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started experiencing left ear block a few days ago with some tightness/soreness in the right upper area above the neck below the skull. Suspect the ear block and soreness is due to long hours of listening to music and working on the computer. Currently taking vitamin B12 three times a day. Last night I took one muscle relaxant tablet before sleep. Now feeling a little warm, with sweaty palms and slightly light-headed. I checked my blood pressure 2 weeks ago and it was normal at 115/90. Do I need to see a doctor right away?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely side effect of the muscle relaxant.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These are most likely to be the side effects of the muscle relaxant and should pass in a few hours.

2. Get an Impedance Audiometry done to check the middle ear pressures. Cervical spine X-rays are required.

3. You can take a routine appointment and get your self examined. Upload the test results for further treatment advice.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you for your reply.

Is the left ear block any way related to the upper neck soreness?

The speaker attached to my computer emits a soft but irritating high pitch sound when switched on. As I am not experiencing any pain and noticeable hearing loss ( though muffled by some buzzing sound in the left ear), would I be correct to say that the ear block is less likely to be caused by a middle ear infection? Could the irritating high pitch sound by the speaker be the cause of my sudden ear block as it is facing my left ear? By the way, I don't listen to loud music nor use use an ear phone.

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as discussed below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The ear block is due to Eustachian Tube Dysfunction (ETD). ETD can be due to muscle spasm, inflammation or infection.

2. If the sound from the computer extends beyond the range of human hearing (20 to 20,000 Hz), you may be hearing only a part of the sound. These sounds over a long term may cause discomfort similar to a blockage sensation. It will be better if you look for ways to stop these sounds.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Thank you very much for your reply.

I have since disconnected the speaker to the computer. However, the buzzing and left ear block still persists. Will they eventually disappear ?

As I will be flying very soon for work purpose, what precautions / measures/ medications should I observe/take to avoid further damage to my ear during plane take off/ landing? Under normal circumstances, I would normally experience some slight blockage in one or both ears upon landing but usually they could resolve very quickly. However, given my current situation, I am pretty worried. Any advice?

Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details as discussed below:

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Noise induced changes are unlikely to change over time unless it is very recent (within last six months). It should decrease with time as you get used to it.

2. If your Impedance Audiometry is normal, there will be no problem while flying. Slight discomfort in the ears is normal during flights.

3. Let me know if the test is abnormal.

Regards.