What causes soreness in the navel area?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: My 23 year old 200 lb son was in a car accident. A couple of days later his bellybutton area was sore and next it looked like it was herniated. Now a week later there is a fluid we believe is coming from it. Can it be from the accident and is it an emergency room situation.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be an umbilical granuloma.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query about your 23 year old 200 lbs son.
Noted the history well and understood the concerns.
As per the history you have provided this looks to be an umbilical granuloma that has got infected as the first differential diagnosis.
Less likely to be an umbilical granuloma as this might have caused the abdominal symptoms and signs like pain, distension, nausea, vomiting.
I would advise you to take him to he General Surgeon and get a clinical evaluation, examination to get a confirmed diagnosis and get the treatment done.
If there is associated pain and other symptoms as mentioned, take him to the ER.

I hope this answers your query.
You may please post clear and focused photos as it sometimes help for on-the-spot diagnosis.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar