What causes soreness in the left breast?

Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am a 69 yr old male. Suddenly my left breast has gotten very sore for the last 3 months. What tests should I have run and which type specialist should I see?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Mastitis or breast infection treatment:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
The symptoms you reported are suggestive for mastitis (infection of the breast) that should be treated with antibiotics. The diagnosis is made clinically and the inflammation markers (ESR and Proteine C reactive) should be checked, to confirm the diagnosis and monitor the efficiency of the therapy.
The breast surgeon would be the most appropriate physician to treat it.
In some cases, surgical treatment may be necessary.
Hope i have been helpful.
Wishing you good health,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj