What causes soreness in the breasts and vaginal spotting during menopause?

Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: I have been officially in menopause for a year. My last period was April 2015. Recently it started hurting when I put on my deodorant. Then my breasts started hurting about 3 weeks ago. They continue to hurting. I went to the doctor and he said it was probably nothing. Then yesterday evening I started spotting. Should one worried?
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide some additional information

Detailed Answer:
1. What is your age ?
2. What were your cycles like before 4/2015 ?
3. Do you have any medical problems ?

Awaiting..

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 3 hours later
my age is 52.
my cycles were normal. they ran 7 days.
I have fibromyalgia and I am bi-polar. I also have arthritis in both knees. I had hyperthyroidism, but it is controlled with medication and I haven't had any problems since. I have acid reflux. I have sleep issues. everything is controlled with medication.
my list of medications is following:
Hydrocodone-Acetaminaphen (Norco) 5-325 mg oral tab take as need for pain
MS Contin/Oramorph SR (Morphine) 15 mg Oral SR tab take 1 at bedtime
Oxcarbazepine (Tripleptal) 300 mg Oral Tab take 2 twice a day
Trazodone (Desyrel) 100 mg Oral Tab take 3 at bedtime
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 300 mg Oral Cap take 1 twice a day
Bethanecol (Urecholine) 50 mg Oral Tab take 1/2 tablet
twice a day
Ziprasidone HCI (Geodon) 80 mg Oral Cap take 1 twice a day
Gabapentin (Neurontin) 800 mg Oral Tab take 1 at bedtime
Levothyroxine (Levothroid/Synthroid) 25 mcg Oral Tab take 1 30 minute
before breakfast
Doxepin (Sinequan) 10 mg Oral Cap take 2 at bedtime
Meloxicam (Mobic) 15 mg Oral Tab take 1 daily
Omperozole (Prilosec) 20 mg Oral CDPR take 1 daily
Baclofen (Lioresal) 10 mg Oral Tab take 1 3 time a day
SR Cap
Zolpidem (Ambien) 5 mg Oral Tablet take 1 at bedtime
as needed for sleep

I also take a multi-vitamin, vitamin D, Calcium, biotin, and Glucosomine in the morning.

I have been taking all these medications for a long time. nothing has been added except the Ambien which I take sparingly and it was added in January. Everything else I've been on for over a year, at least.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you need anything else.
XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 hours later
Brief Answer:
Postmenopausal bleeding of any kind is very important to evaluate

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question.

In women who are post-menopausal, we think of bleeding very differently than in women who are still having their cycles. Menopause is defined as no period for 12 months. You are not on any medications that would affect your cycle, and other medical problems that would affect your cycle (thyroid disease) appear to be well controlled.

The causes of postmenopausal bleeding include:

1. Atrophy - thinning of the inner lining of the uterus, cervix and vaginal walls. This is the most common cause of bleeding and is a benign problem

2. Anatomic changes - polyps and fibroids are the major players and are very easy to address and treat. They are almost never cancer related

3. Pre-cancerous or cancerous changes - while these are the least common causes, they are the most important to rule out.

So, please do NOT assume the worst. Even if it was #3, still this is a VERY curable problem. You need to do the following:

1. Please schedule a visit with an OB/GYN

2. At that visit, expect that they will perform an endometrial biopsy (a sample of the uterine lining that is very easy to get and not really that painful in most cases)

3. An ultrasound will be performed too

In most cases, you will end up with some version of a hysteroscopy (camera to look into the uterus and remove any abnormalities and fully sample the uterine lining).

Does this help ?
Dr. Tim

Follow up: Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 hours later
Yes it was helpful. Although it doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun!!

Thank you for taking the time.

Sincerely, XXXXXXX XXXX
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not a painful evaluation

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it sounds like a big ordeal, but it does not need to be painful. It is very simple to get an endometrial biopsy. Also, pelvic ultrasounds are very simple to obtain as well.

I wish you the best of luck and I am sure that this will turn out well.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad