Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
175 Doctors are Online

What causes soreness in ribs after surgery for spontaneous pneumothorax?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 6161 Questions
I am a 36 y/o female with hx of spont pneumo X2 with chest tubes placed and eventual surgical repair in 2005. For approx a year, I notice that my right lower ribs (same side as pneumo) feel bruised to the touch. Seems to come and go. Sometimes I don't notice it until I brush up against something, other times feels sore all the time. I have not injured it recently, nor have had any strenuous activity. Could it be a chronic pain from the pneumo? Just not sure if I should be concerned. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 26 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Probably frothe surgical procedure Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about these pains you are experiencing. From the information you have provided, my suspicion is that this pain is probably a residual complication of the surgical procedure you had to correct the spontaneous pneumothorax. The residual scarring tissue often interferes with the smooth movements of structures in the chest over each other resulting in difficult and painful movements. I will suggest that you get some pain medications to control these symptoms like Tylenol, Motrin, etc. If the intensity should worsen or you develop breathing difficulties, then I will advice that you go to the hospital and get at least a chest x-ray to rule out any possible disease or disease process gong on in the lung. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you so much for using our services and please do feel free to ask for more information if need. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor