What causes soreness in lower leg?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My lower leg between calf and ankle all of a sudden gets really sore to the point I can't put any weight on it or can move my foot. Never had injury on this leg. Has happened once before but went away the following day or two. Feels like my Achilles but not sure what it can be. Started to feel tight earlier today and gradually got to the point to where I can't walk on it.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Plantar fascitis. Needs exercise, pain killers calf muscle stretching, war

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

Is the pain over the heel and sole when you walk ?

Is the pain worse in the morning ?

Is there any swelling of the ankle ?

According to your history, you could be suffering from Plantar fascitis, which is the inflammation of the flat membrane in the sole of the foot extending from the heel upto the toes.

This pain tends to get worse in the morning or get worse after long periods of sitting or lying down.

I advise you to dip your feet and ankles in a pot of warm water work added table salt. Wiggle your toes and feet in it. Do this for about 15 minutes, twice a day, once in the morning before getting out of bed. This will help to drain away the swelling inside.

Also perform calf muscle stretching exercises and Wear soft soled shoes like basketball sport shoes. Take pain killer like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days after meals. Drink plenty of water. Exercise regularly to keep fit and avoid obesity which can usually make Plantar fascitis worse.

Kindly reply to my queries to be in a better position to help you.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D