What causes soreness in leg after shaving?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My 12 year old daughter got what we thought was a infected hair after shaving her legs 2 days ago. As time has went on its got increasingly more sore. Even the bed sheet coming in contact with it hurts now. After she actually showed it to me tonight we cleaned it with peroxide and aftewards i'm worried it's a spider bite. Is there anything I can do? The 1st picture is before we cleaned her up, the 2nd is durning and the 3rd is after.
Answered by Dr. Charu Bansal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Infected hair follicle/ insect bite

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Welcome to Healthcaremagic.com.
I have read your query.
I have seen the attached photographs also.
I understand your concern.
As per details, there are following possibilities for the symptoms you mentioned-
1) Infected hair follicle - as you said that rash was noticed after shaving so I am putting it as first differential. Post shaving as a result of trauma, abraded skin gets easily infected. The most common infection is staphylococcal infection.
In such cases, oral broad spectrum antibiotics are started with topical antibiotic cream like mupirocin 2 percent.

2) Insect bite - spider bite is not so common. Still if at all it is spider bite, then very few spiders have venom in their secretions.
It is rather some insect bite reaction.

Since there is one far possibility of spider bite, it should not be ignored and you should visit your doctor so that he can do clinical examination properly .
in such cases, local infiltration of steroid is done around the wound along oral and topical antibiotics.
You can share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Stay healthy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Charu Bansal 10 minutes later
Thank You!!! We have a first care that opens at 8 in the morning..I will take her 1st thing. I thought she might of scratched a mosquito bite that bad, but then too, she's been out with her grandpa in the woods and we have quite a few spiders around here..to my dismay..lol. I'm scared to death lf them..lol. Thank You again!!
Brief Answer:
visit your doctor

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
See the possibility of spider bite should be considered if she has been to the area with woods.
But as I told you most of the spiders are non poisonous.
Still you should visit your doctor in person .
We are always here to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Charu Bansal

Dermatologist