What causes soreness in chest?

Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Child Health
Question: My 16 year old son has been complaining of soreness in his chest for the past few days. It is not a huge pain but a constant dull pain that sometimes seems to move from spot to spot in the chest area. What could this be from? He is a fairly active teen but doesn't think he's done anything strenuous enough to have caused a pulled muscle. Any thoughts?
Thanks so much, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Chest Soreness

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
What you describe sounds like something called "Costochondritis". This is fairly common in this age group, regardless of the level of activity. It is caused by inflammation of the tendons that insert into the sternum. That is, the ends of the chest muscles that attach to the breast bone, the bone in the center of the upper chest.
This could be an on and off occurrence for a year or two. When it occurs, he can take a dose of Motrin or Advil. This will alleviate the pain.
It is ultimately not something you need to be overly concerned about.