What causes soreness and swelling under the jaw?

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have soreness and slight swelling on the left side of my throat underneath the jaw bone, near the jaw joint.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Needs proper medicines that suit you. . consult your doctor.

Detailed Answer:
HI XXXX,
Thanks for the query. I understand your concern.
The small & sore swelling under your jaw, is a swollen lymph node .Lymph nodes are center of defense mechanism for it's surrounding body parts. Certain toxins secreted / bacteria cell walls are caught by lymphatic system & carried in the lymph node ..the white blood cells in the node make antibodies against the bacteria & tries to fight back the bacteria causing infection.
All of these excess activities cause inflammation of the nodes .. which becomes sore & increased in size.
So inflamed lymph denotes infection in the area drained by the lymph node. The area drained by the sub mandibular lymph node is from ear/ nose/ throat/ teeth/ salivary glands.
* So I would advise you to consult your family physician & have a through check up along with few investigations to pin point the site of infection.Most of the infections are of throat, oral cavity.. He will start with treatment himself OR may refer you to ENT specialist for detailed check up & specific management
* Treatment of the swollen lymph gland ,would be treating the causative factor.The specialist would advise you suitable antibiotic/ anti inflammatory pills/ anti allergic pills if needed.As the basis infection gets controlled.. lymph node swelling also recedes back.
I hope, you are sufficiently informed about your problem .. to enable you to take find way & get relieved of the problem.Please feel free to continue discussion in case you have any doubt. I would be happy to help.
Thanks.