What causes soreness and swelling in the toe joint of the foot?

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a sore swollen toe joint on my left foot. the toe next to the big toe
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
bursitis/gout

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

A sore swollen toe joint of the foot can occur usually due to trauma (fracture or a ligament sprain).If you have not suffered from any trauma recently,then the underlying reason may be either a Bursitis or Gout.

Bursitis occurs due to an inflammed bursa near the toe joint due to chronic friction or overuse.Gout,on the other hand,occurs due to raised uric acid levels in blood causing accumulation of uric acid crystals around the toe joints of foot.

I would suggest you to get your blood checked for complete blood count,sugar levels and serum uric acid.If the uric acid levels are raised,then you need to start on drugs like allopurinol/colchicine.

Anti inflammatory analgesic tablets like tramadol,ibuprofen or paracetamol should help.Apply compression bandage around the affected part and keep the leg elevated over a pillow.

Avoid weight bearing and applying heat over the affected part.Ice packs may help.

An Xray of the painful part will aid the diagnosis.

I hope the answer was useful.

Do let me know the investigation reports once they are done.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana