• question-icon

What causes soreness and burning sensation in skin while on Sulfasalazine?

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi I have ra and I'm on sulfasalzine and hydroxiquinn I've been on the sulfasalzine for one month and everything has got worse my skin in sore and burning I phoned my consultant on Friday he told me to go to hospital for steroid injection ,but still I am experiencing the burning in my arms and ankles even worse than before I Carnot sleep and worried about how sore my skin is
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please talk to your doctor regarding changing of medicine.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your query I Will like to tell you that since your main complaint is burning , it is possible that it could be side effect of drugs like hydroxychloroquine . Steroid injection will help with swelling and pain but not with burning sensation . I would recommend you to talk to your treating doctor regarding the same . Hydroxychloroquine is known to cause neuropathy symptoms .

Dr. Shruti
Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist