What causes sore throat with negative DNA PCR test?

Dr. Shruti Rijhwani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in HIV and AIDS
Question: After i had unprotected sex i have undertaken DNA PCR test after 40 days. the result is next but i am experiencing some symptoms like sore throat mouth ulsacr,sick will it result to HIV positive . if i underdo the ELISA test after 3+ months will there be chances for HIV positive result.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

Thank you for posting your query on HCM.

Well looking into your problem I would like to tell you that this test is a very accurate test and it is a gold standard so the chances of Elisa coming positive is almost negligible .

Your symptoms are probably unrelated and can happen to anybody as this is the change of season but still if you want to get it done after 3 months you can get it done for double surity . I think you should see an HIV specialist for counselling .

DR. Shruti
Follow up: Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 13 minutes later
I have taken the test from Private Clinic . He is an HIV Specialist .Undertaken DNA PCR HIV test from his clinic itself.Even he told that there are less chances for HIV positive. But the thing is i am experincing the symptoms like sore throat,Moth ulscar
and sickness, rashes,cold all the symptoms like HIV . So i am Scared about HIV.

Can you let me know what wolud be the chance for HIV positive in ELISA and different kinds of tests even i got DNA PCR test in 40th day which is negative.
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follows.

Detailed Answer:
Dear Sir,

ELISA is not as specific as DNA PCR so if the the DNA PCR is negative the risk is almost negligible . You need to believe what the doctors are telling you and only as time passes you will forget about it .

You symptoms can be totally unrelated , these are common with any kind of viral fever.

Dr. Shruti