What causes sore throat with cough?

Dr. Rovena Murati

Posted on Tue, 27 May 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: After 2 wks, my Dr. Now says I don't have viral pneumonia because it would have resolved by this time (2nd chest X-ray shows no change)....Now she wants me to see a Pulmonary dr, because she does not know what the problem could be. I ave a sore throat and cough occasionally,nothing profound. What do you think?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please answer the questions below!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!
I read your query in details.

I have to ask you the reason why your doctor thought you had Viral pneumonia because sore throat and occasionally cough are not symptoms of pneumonia.
So two weeks before do you had any of the following symptoms:
-High fever and chills
-constantly nonproductive cough
-Difficulty breathing
-Myalgia
-Headache and fatigue

It will be helpful if you describe me all the story,I mean:
- when all this started?
-Which were your symptoms?
-What showed your first X-ray ?
-What treatment you took?
-How worked this treatment in your symptoms?
-How are you feeling now?-The cough is dry or with yellow sputum?-Your throat is red with white spots or normal?

This information would help a lot in order to give you a professional opinion.

Waiting your answer.
Best Regards.
Dr.Rovena
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 1 hour later
Had chest X-ray, showed some impressions......had ct scan ..no TUMORS,masses...so thought poss viral pneumonia....set up f/u X-ray 2 wks later....no prev symptoms except fatigue and headaches.....2nd X-ray showed no improvement....now suggesting pulmonary dr to check what is on chest X-ray.
No treatment was given.....cough now lite yellow, throat looks ok.
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should consult a Pneumologist!

Detailed Answer:
Hello again Madam!

After reading these details I agree with your doctor,it was't a viral pneumonia because in this case you would have more severe symptoms and after 2 weeks would be changes in your X-ray.

Since tumor is excluded and your symptoms are mild I don't think it something serious.It might be bronchitis,or mild lung inflammation causing the symptoms and the X-ray findings and because you didn't take any medications there was no changes in the second X-ray.It is important for you to be evaluated by a specialist of the lungs so he can give a detailed interpretation of your X-ray and the probably cause of those impressions in your lungs.

If I were your treating doctor I would try to exclude gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD) as a possible cause because it is possible that a person with GERD might not have typical symptoms such as heartburn,chest pain etc but they may present with symptoms involving the pulmonary system like sore throat,chronic cough,bronchitis etc.

GERD can cause various pulmonary manifestations: Chronic cough, bronchial asthma, bronchitis, pneumonia and interstitial fibrosis.
If the gastric acid reaches the back of the throat, it may cause a bitter taste in the mouth and/or aspiration of the gastric acid into the lungs. The acid can cause throat irritation, as recurrent cough, chest congestion and lung inflammation .

This is just one of possible causes.I suggest to consult a pneumologist(Pulmonary doctor) because in this case the most important investigation is physical examination (auscultation of the lungs) and perfect interpretation of your X-ray and a Pneumologist is trained to do these better than any other doctor.

Hope my answer has helped.If you have any other question please feel free to write me,I will be happy to answer.

Wish you a good health and Good luck with your investigations!
Best Regards.

Dr.Rovena

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Rovena Murati 5 hours later
Doctor,
What exactly is "auscultation of the lungs"?
Answered by Dr. Rovena Murati 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Is the hearing of the lungs during breathing.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
I am sorry I used a medical term that was difficult to understand.

Auscultation of the lungs is part of physical examination when a doctor use a stethoscope to hear your lungs carefully.
Every pathological change in lungs (inflammation,infection,tumors) cause a noise perceptible with stethoscope that is different from normal breath sounds.

A pneumologist(Pulmonary dr.) can use this information(specific characteristic of pathological breath sounds and the specific localization of this sounds) with other tests (such as X-ray interpretation) to form an medical opinion of the possible cause of this conditions.

Hope this helps.
PS: Please let me know if you have further questions.

Dr.Rovena
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad