What causes sore throat while on Xanax?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Tue, 17 Apr 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I am prescribed alprazolam (Xanax) up to 2 mgs per day (never taken that much at once) yesterday was rough so I took .5 mg around noon another .5 around 4 and the last .5mg dose around 9 or 10 pm I woke up at 5 am with a sore throat so I took 1 teaspoon of hydromet I was prescribed for bronchitis i’ve Been battling. Immediately after swallowing I second guessed if the Xanax would be out of my system and I should be combining these two. Just want to make sure I am ok. I am 6’ 220 39 year old male, with no serious health problems besides allergies and a touch of asthma.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is better not to combine

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using health care magic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to assure you that for an 39 year young person 1.5 mg of alprax and one tsf of hydromet does not cause serious issues as both are within prescription dose ranges. In other words you can get assurance that nothing bad going to happen with your dose.

However I will request you to avoid further mixing of dosage as both the medications are central nervous system depressants and further intake should be avoided.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.