What causes sore throat, sneezing and swollen gland in armpit?

ENT Specialist
Question
I got a cold or something about a week ago. It started as a sore throat then changed 3 days later to a stuffed up head with light coughing, sneezing, runny nose and sinus pressure. now at this point I mostly just have a runny nose and some congestion but this morning I found a lump or swollen gland in my left armpit. That armpit was sore the last 2 days before when I would put on deodorant but only notice the lump this morning. Not sure why the lump formed now.
Posted Wed, 20 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Swelling in the armpit is not related to URTI...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

After going through the history posted by you, I'm of the opinion that, at present, you are having Acute Upper Respiratory Tract Infection (URTI). The lymph node swelling in the armpit is not related to the present URTI.

The lymph node swelling in the armpit is due to infection or inflammation in the surrounding area.

You would require broad spectrum antibiotics to take care of both URTI and the inflamed lymph node in the armpit. Apart from this, I would suggest you to drink plenty of warm water, do steam inhalation, use saline nasal spray, oral decongestants and take pain relievers.

With this measures, you will definitely feel better.

Hope I have answered your query; I'll be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Follow-up: What causes sore throat, sneezing and swollen gland in armpit? 30 minutes later
Thank you for your response. Since I have been starting to feel better then I did a few days ago, would I really need to take an antibiotic to get rid of the URTI. I would like to avoid antibiotics if I could.

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

It's good to know that you URTI symptoms are better that before. In that case, except for antibiotics you can take other medicines and follow home remedies.

Good Luck

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon