• question-icon

What causes sore throat, painful swallowing and ear ache?

Posted on Fri, 27 May 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: hi, I have a very sore throat with pain in my ears- painful to swallow.
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
ENT specialist's advise / self care would cure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for the query.I have read your query & understand your concern.
Sore throat is irritation/ pain in throat with some times itching. It can be allergic/ infective (Viral or bacterial )in origin.
As you do not mention of any allergy or associated cold symptoms it's less likely to be allergic in nature. The symptoms of pain while swallowing & ear pain indicate it to be tonsillitis (er inflammation of tonsils ) spreading to ear..because of connection of throat with middle ear by Eustachian tube ( as in your case..) . The inflammatory liquid passes through the tube & causes pressure on ear drum.. thus the ear pain.
- In this case you can start with the personal care mentioned at below along with over the counter anti inflammatory drug like Ibuprofen ( after food )
- TO consult an ENT specialist earliest is advisable . . He will examine your throat with a lighted instrument & look for any patches or inflammation of Tonsils. He may advise you Blood counts for judging grade of infection & also take a throat swab & send it for culture & sensitivity test ( for Staphylococci )if he feels necessary.Ear examination would be done to examine ear internally .
He will the give you a course of suitable antibiotics / anti inflammatory drugs
along with ear drops if there is congestion of ear.
Self care-
- Hot saline gargles / drinking lot of warm water help to control pain & inflammation.
- Avoid known allergens ( if any )/ exposure to cold/ spicy, fried, sour food or cold drinks.
- Do not try to clean ear by using sticks/ hair pins.
- Avoid smoking or exposure to smoke .
- Take medication as per advise regularly.
- The antibiotic will be given with an aim to cure the infection completely & bacteria are completely killed So make sure to take the full course given & have a review by doctor after that to ensure complete cure.
Thus you will get rid of your throat & ear problem with an expert advise & strict personal care.
I hope the answer has been both informative & useful to you. Any follow up query is welcome.
Pl grade the answer before you close it.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 13 hours later
Thank you for the response. I was diagnosed today with strep throat and have started antibiotics. Hoping for relief soon.

Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Have earliest & complete recovery.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Nicjoneic,
Thanks for the reply. I am happy to note taht the diagnosis was done in time. Early diagnosis is first step towards early & complete relief.Thanks once again.
I would be happy to help you for any other health concerns. I will be available on Health Care Magic platform.
Thanks,
- Dr. Vasudha.
Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale