What causes sore throat, nausea and headache?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Sat, 9 Jun 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 13 year old son started complaining of a sore throat and nausea last night. He did not sleep well last night and today he has a headache along with the sore throat and nausea. He isn't running a temperature but the flu and strep are going around in our area (just like everywhere else). Should I be concerned or is it a cold?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
He needs to gurgle with lukewarm water

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Most likely it is just a cold and it does not seem to be something serious. Such sore throat can be caused due to some viruses like Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) (causes mono), or some bacteria like Streptococcus (causes Strep throat). Irrespective of the cause, all you need to do is to gurgle with lukewarm water and recovery will occur in a week or so. In case it is due to Strep, antibiotics might be needed.

Please be patient. Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad