question-icon

What causes sore throat inspite of having keflex for sinus infection?

Posted on Wed, 23 Jul 2014
Question: I'm currently on predbisone for an asthma flare. I have been on prednisone for at least a month. I'm type I diabetic. My blood sugars have been really high. I'm taking keflex for a sinus infection. I am a current smoker. I am 41. I woke up yesterday with alot of pain in my throat and sinuses and a dark spot on the tip of uvula. It hurts my throat and sinuses to swallow. What could this be?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (24 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
please meet your doctor immediately!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Considering that fact that you are on oral steroids and your sugars have been high , i think may be having a fungal infection of your sinuses which may be spreading to your throat ,

Please meet your doctor immediately as this can be rapidly spreading and can be very very dangerous.

I would like you to continue your medications for the time being and stop smoking altogether , at least for now.

Please do not delay and meet your doctor soon.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (9 minutes later)
I'm also having edema in my legs ankles and feet with periods of rapid heartbeat. I can feel my heart pounding in my chest. Is this dangerous?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (4 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
yes it is dangerous!

Detailed Answer:
hello!

Yes it is pretty dangerous and i dont think you should delay any further as it looks like that the infection is spreading.

Please dont delay!

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (14 minutes later)
Do you think the edema is being caused by the prednisone?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi (11 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
yes it can be caused by prednisone

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Yes it is possible that the steroids can be causing the edema , but it can also be due to renal ( kidney ) causes , specially since are a diabetic and it can also be due to generalized spread of infection .

Please take care

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist