• question-icon

What causes sore throat, inflammation of neck and armpit, fatigue and diarrhea?

Posted on Tue, 23 Dec 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I started having sore throat 7 day after exposure and feeling unwell and after two weeks comes inflammation of the neck and armpit, fatigue on the fourth week comes diyrea Will the antibodies or p24antigen not produce while this symptoms are on. Because I went to test after 40days and it comes negative. I tested for ab anti hiv1 $2 and p24antigen.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Less likely HIV, please repeat HIV antibodies test 6 months after exposure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX,
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Though you have tested negative for HIV 1 & 2 and p24 antigen, it is essential to follow standard protocols for HIV screening.

Besides HIV, there can be other conditions causing sore throat, fatigue, inflammation and diarrhea. It would be helpful to consult a medical specialist and get specific tests done after complete clinical examination if your symptoms are still persisting.

The HIV antibodies usually appear after 3 to 8 weeks following infection. However the tests, if negative, should be repeated at 3 months and 6 months. This is because in some people antibodies take up to 6 months to develop after HIV infection.

Hope this answers your question. Please feel free to correct any oversight in my interpretation of your problems and discuss them in detail as per your requirements.

Hope your query is answered.
Do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist