What causes sore throat in a chain smoker?
mononucleosis sounds like a much more likely cause of persistent sore throat than cancer, particularly at your age. have you done any tests?
Please also describe your symptoms in more detail. The following questions will help you to include important information:
- do you have fever?
- do you have enlarged lymph nodes? Are they tender?
- skin lesions?
- symptoms besides sore throat?
can't be treated...
Mononucleosis can't be treated with antibiotics. Mononucleosis syndromes have various causes. The most common one (particularly for a young individual) is by far the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). There are certain tests (EBV antibodies) that can be used to diagnose it. Other potential causes include the HIV, CMV and hepatitis viruses. I can't comment on this "bubble". It requires clinical examination to tell what might be causing it.
I suggest doing the following tests:
- complete blood count
- EBV antibodies (IgG, IgM)
- HIV testing
- CMV antibodies (IgG, IgM)
- HBsAg, AntiHBs, AntiHBc IgG/IgM (hepatitis B virus tests)
If you haven't visited your doctor yet, then it's time to do it now.
If the aforementioned tests are negative, then an ENT specialist should check your throat.
So in conclusion, my opinion is that the best plan for your case is to do some blood tests for common (or less common) viruses and clinical examination by your primary care physician (first) and an ENT specialist (later, if required).
I hope it helps!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Sore throat on swallowing semen what is the cause
- What is causing my sore throat and raspy voice
- What causes bodyaches with sore throat
- What virus causes sore throat
- What causes sore throat on right side
- What is the cause of the recurring sore throat
- What causes to have swollen tongue and sore throat
- Toothache sore throat whats the cause
- What causes sore throat and cough
- What causes constant sore throat with history of smokinh