What causes sore throat and dry cough?

Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi, I am having sore throat and dry cough since yesterday. I did salt water gargle 3 times. Now feeling slight fever and body ache. Please note that i have asthma issue and this sore throat and cough usually tends to convert into breathlessness and chest congestion

can you please suggest some off the counter medicine and also how many times should i take it
thanks
XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get yourself clinically examined and investigated.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are having Upper Respiratory Tract Infection ( URTI ). I would like to advise that you should get yourself clinically examined and investigated.

Following investigations may be helpful :-
1. Complete Blood Count ( CBC ).
2. Throat swab culture.
3. Chest auscultation.
4. Sputum examination.

I would advise that you can take an antihistamine like Fexofenadine 120 mg once a day. A bronchodilator inhaler may be added if chest auscultation indicates broncho constriction.
Antibiotic should be taken only after reports of the above mentioned investigations indicate bacterial infection. You should continue with warm saline gargles.
Further medical management can be planned according to the clinical evaluation done by your doctor.

I hope this is helpful to you.
If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj