What causes sore throat and cough?

Question
I was a little sick with sore throat and cough at the end of last week. Was feeling ok this morning, but was on a plane this morning and started getting extremely light headed, dizzy and about to faint ( i may hav gone out for a second). started sweating profusely as well. was also very nauseous - thought i would throw up. but didnt. Was quite nervous because of these symptoms for about 15 minutes - i went to rstroom and got a ginger ale from the attendant. Symptoms eased after that, but have been slightly nauseous and dizzy all day since
Posted Sun, 24 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are due to URTI;baseline ECG

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query.

I would suspect an upper respiratory tract infection(URTI).These symptoms are seen especially when it involves the eustachian tube especially when it get blocked due to negative pressure when you fly.In addition, I were to suspect congestion of the sinus which is why you have been experiencing dizzy spells.

I were to advise-
1.Steam inhalation(atleast 4 times/day)
2.Antibiotic(Cefixime) for 1 week
3.Analgesic/Decogestant (Paracetamol/Pseudoephedrine) for 1week.

More importantly I would also do a baseline ECG to rule out underlying cardiac abnormality.

Hope this answers your query.

Follow-up: What causes sore throat and cough? 8 hours later
I have had a mild heart attack (7 years ago). The plane was still taxiing on the runway when the symptoms started. Recently visited cardiologist with blood work - bloodwork numbers were all in line.

Answered by Dr. Praveen 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recommend revaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I am glad that the recent cardiac evaluation was normal.I would always prefer revaluation since these symptoms can still be suggestive of heart disease.I were to start steam inhalation and medications; do an ECG, 2D Echocardiogram to rule out abnormal heart function.

Hope this answers your query.