What causes sore throat and cough?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was a little sick with sore throat and cough at the end of last week. Was feeling ok this morning, but was on a plane this morning and started getting extremely light headed, dizzy and about to faint ( i may hav gone out for a second). started sweating profusely as well. was also very nauseous - thought i would throw up. but didnt. Was quite nervous because of these symptoms for about 15 minutes - i went to rstroom and got a ginger ale from the attendant. Symptoms eased after that, but have been slightly nauseous and dizzy all day since
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Symptoms are due to URTI;baseline ECG

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query.

I would suspect an upper respiratory tract infection(URTI).These symptoms are seen especially when it involves the eustachian tube especially when it get blocked due to negative pressure when you fly.In addition, I were to suspect congestion of the sinus which is why you have been experiencing dizzy spells.

I were to advise-
1.Steam inhalation(atleast 4 times/day)
2.Antibiotic(Cefixime) for 1 week
3.Analgesic/Decogestant (Paracetamol/Pseudoephedrine) for 1week.

More importantly I would also do a baseline ECG to rule out underlying cardiac abnormality.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Praveen 8 hours later
I have had a mild heart attack (7 years ago). The plane was still taxiing on the runway when the symptoms started. Recently visited cardiologist with blood work - bloodwork numbers were all in line.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Recommend revaluation

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

I am glad that the recent cardiac evaluation was normal.I would always prefer revaluation since these symptoms can still be suggestive of heart disease.I were to start steam inhalation and medications; do an ECG, 2D Echocardiogram to rule out abnormal heart function.

Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari