Owl Image

What causes sore throat after insertion of endotracheal tube?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, I had surgery last Wednesday on my ankle and as far as I'm aware they put an endotracheal tube in as I was put under general anaesthetic and unfortunately it's now a week since I had my operation but my throat seems to be still very sore and wondering whether I should see my local gp. The problem seems to be whilst I'm eating and immediately after but it then settles backdown again until the next time I eat. Sometimes I also cough up brown, bloody phlegm but it feels like there is something stuck in my throat that won't budge. Incidentally, the throat is actually hurting more than the ankle.

Thank you
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take Anaesthetic Gel

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,

I have gone through your query; it suggests that you may be suffering from the trauma due to the endotracheal intubation.

But to reach the near diagnosis you may go for the laryngoscopy, throat examination by ENT specialist.

In this time I suggest you that you may take anaesthetic gel such as Mucain Gel two teaspoonful three times a day half an hour before meal.

Thanks

Dr Hariom Sharma MBBS, MS
ENT Specialist

Follow-up: What causes sore throat after insertion of endotracheal tube? 28 minutes later

Where could I get some of this gel from? Do you suggest I book an appointment with my GP?

Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to consult with ENT specialist instead of GP

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,

I have on gone through your follow up query and suggests you that consult with ENT specialist instead of GP.

You could get above mentioned gel over the counter.

Thanks

Wish you good health