What causes sore painful lumps at injection sites?

Dr. Muhammad Hanif

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: Hey. I recently injected method & I was constantly puncturing my arm looking for a vein & now I have big lumps under the skin that are really sore & hurts to even move my arm. Please help!
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is a swelling due to local trauma and needs care as under.

Detailed Answer:
Dr. Hanif warmly Welcomes you to my virtual clinic HCM!
I have carefully worked through your case, and can realize your health worries. Being your physician, I will take care all of your medical concerns today and will put my best efforts to get you out of this situation.

You have punctured your skin many times and it caused bruising and bleeding into the skin.

Also when we puncture into the veins many time, it also causes pain from the veins. The punctured veins may bleed and cause a swelling due to hematoma (bleeding under the skin and accumulation of that blood. It causes pressure on the nearby structures and causes severe pain.

Management :-
Apply cold compresses to relieve the edema of the skin and don't worry it will help soothe you soon.
Take 'Excedrin extra strength' for the pain relief.
Apply Bengay Ultrastretch gel on the skin and very gently massage it to get absorbed in the skin. It will give you relief.

Give rest to the arm and don't lift heavy weights with it. It will take a little time to go away but will be ok soon.

Have a wonderful time ahead. Hope I answered all of your questions. Let me know if you have any further clinical concerns or doubts. I will be more than happy to get back to you in no time. If satisfied here, please give a generous five star rating to help us assist our patients in a better way; and, please don't forget to 'Close This Discussion'.
For any disease you have, a timely follow-up after sometime regarding the treatment efficacy and to see if there is any need to change the treatment options is very necessary. So keep a follow up to see how you doing (Write down my name in the start of your question always & I will be with you sooner).

Regards!
DR. XXXXXXX HANIF
USA

Click the link to open my profile. Click 'Ask Me a Question' anytime for super fast expert medical help!!!
https://www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-muhammad-hanif/70199

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T