What causes sore larynx inspite of having Advair for sinus infection?

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I am 66 yrs old, have chronic asthma treated with Advair and rescue meds. I had a virus and sinus infection in early December and was treated with steroids and Augmentin. At the end of December and early XXXXXXX with I was treated for a UTI that was treated with Ceftin and eventually Gentamicin shots daily for 5 days. My question is related to a persistent very sore larynx that I have had since I had the viral/sinus infection in early December. I am over all other symptoms except lower stamina. I am gargling with vinegar and even drinking hot vinegar and water that seems to soothe it. Any ideas what is going on and whether I need to see my doc??
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Sore larynx

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
The combination preparation fluticasone/salmeterol(Advair) used in the management of asthma can cause local side effects include hoarseness (dysphonia) and oral candidiasis.
It is recommended to rinse and gargle with water after inhaling the medication. This decreases the risk of developing a candidiasis infection.Candida species can cause laryngitis as well.
All major respiratory viruses have been implicated in acute viral laryngitis, including rhinovirus, influenza virus, parainfluenza virus, adenovirus, coxsackievirus, coronavirus, and RSV.However viral infection subsides on its own in a week or so.
You need to see an ENT(Ear,Nose & throat) specialist

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas