What causes sore in earlobe and fever?

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a sore in my earlobe under a flap of skin and I am unable to see it. It started with blood and puss and my ear is sore to the touch. I've used paroxide to clean it and I have been on antibiotics for five days. It is very sore and I am beginning to feel feverish. I have also been keeping antibiotic cream on it but it doesn't appear to be getting better. What could this be and how should I treat it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It looks like a boil

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Your history and symptoms are suggestive of boil. Even after taking antibiotics for five days your symptoms have not reduced.

I would suggest you to undergo blood culture and the pus culture to find out the organism causing these symptoms and then appropriate antibiotics can be given to cure the condition.

Meanwhile you can take anti inflammatory drug like Tab Ibuprofen after the food, twice daily may help to reduce pain and inflammation.

You can apply hot pack on the affected area which will reduce pain and swelling.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju