What causes some discharge with redness and swelling around the navel region?

Dr. Endri Katro

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Lump
Question: I've noticed for some time now that my naval (an "inny") is bulging and red. This morning it now seems to be oozing fluid ever so slightly. Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Endri Katro 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Umbilical dermatitis...

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking Healthcaremagic.

I am Dr.Endri Katro and I will be answering at your questions.

The symptoms that you describe, fluids from your umbelicus (navel), building red, correlate with umbilical dermatitis (inflamation of the skin of our umbelicus) or even an infection of our umbelicus.

The infection spreads into the subcutaneous tissues and it forms oedema around it. That is why you see it as a bulging red.

This condition is formed in most of the cases when parts of the skin,hair foliculs,stone ect get trapped in our umbelicus. They irritate the skin (dermatitis) and than infection is formed due to the microorganisms of the skin.

There is nothing to be worried,because it is a benign condition and it can be cured. Here are some advice.
-keep the affected area clean. use an antibacterial soap while taking a shower or bath and than clean the affected area.
-you can use alcohol because it is an antiseptic. It will sterilize the infected area and prevent the spread of infection
-try to remove any foreign body inside your bellybutton if you can,hairs,stones ect (usully this is done from a nurse or your doctor)
-for pain you can use paracetamol or ibuprofen

If I was your caring doctor,i would clean the area and depending from affected area I would prescribe or not a course with antibiotics.

I suggest you follow the advices that i mentioned above, and in the symptoms don't go away in a couple of days,than you consult your physician for the prescription of the antibiotics and if needed he will also clean the affected area.

If you have any other question,don't hesitate to contact me.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Endri Katro
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T