• question-icon

What causes soft stools, faecal leaks and frequent BM while on iron supplements?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have ongoing very soft stools leading occasionally to faecal leaks making liners necessary. It all began having to take iron tablets over a long period. Apart from feeling that I have not fully emptied my bowels, I experience no pain nor is my stool abnormally coloured or show any blood. However, I feel uncomfortable/apprehensive about it all as I also suffered a broken neck of femur last October and a mitral valve replacement (tissue) in Summer the same year. For your advice I should be most grateful.
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Here are a few options you can consider ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I understand how iron supplements can cause such a reaction to your digestive tract, and as I understand you require them so there is no way you would want to avoid them, so the only way to help yourself is:

+Initiation of probiotics (which are available at all medical stores or ready made at grocery stores): Consume as much as possible
+Stick to a liquid or semi-solid diet to avoid irritating your digestive tract from digesting solid or spicy/oily/fried/fatty food
+Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration
+Purchase an ORS (oral rehydration solution) to provide yourself with all the electrolytes that are being lost from the loose stools/diarrhea

If you are still on the iron tablets and require to take them for a longer period then the above substitutes could be considered. But if there is an option to substitute the iron tablets with a once in a while blood transfusion, may be that would be a more comfortable option.

I hope you find my response helpful. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan