What causes sneezing, watery eyes and cough with excess mucus upon waking up?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I wake up every morning sneezing watery eyes trowiwing up flem every morning once its out I nam ok all day its just when I get up I have tryed sleeoing up and elevated head doesnt help I have tryed claritan and even recently a shot from the doc did nothing please advise been goin on for two years cant take it anymore

its like throwing up cotton balls everyday and sometimes its neclear green
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
decongestant, allergy testing, singulair or ketotifen

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

You may want to consider allergy testing, this can be in the form of blood tests or skin prick testing.
Your symptoms are more likely due to allergy, this is the most common cause.

If you can determine the exact source of the symptoms then you can reduce your exposure to it and hopefully reduce your symptoms.

I had a patient who was having symptoms and the blood allergy testing showed that she was allergic to bananas.

Eliminating exposure to the source of the symptoms would be most effective.

In addition to this, you may also want to add a decongestant to the anti histamine you are using.
This would mean claritine D or allegra D instead of the plain anti histamine

A short course of topical decongestant may also be helpful as well eg otrivine.

In addition medications such as singulair or ketotifen which affect/treat different parts of the allergic response.
Either of these can be used with your anti histamine/decongestant combination.

Though the mucus is green, if it has been long standing then it is not likely infection but part of the inflammatory response

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions